Wednesday, February 8, 2012

A Month of Letters Challege


It's been a week since the start of A Month of Letters. How's it going for anyone participating?

I wanted to give a daily log of what I've been doing, but between writing letters and the other writing I'm working on, it was hard to fit it all in. So I'm going to give you a week by week play. (This is late because blogger wouldn't allow me to post my photos.)

My mailbox is at the end of our driveway which is about 1,000 feet long. I decided I'd walk the letters to the mailbox each day and bring my camera with me. Along the way I'd snap some photos keeping my eye out on whatever "theme" I picked for that day. I'm going to include just one or two of my favorite shots. It's interesting each day looking for something different along the same route. It's also rather amazing how your awareness opens.

Day One February 1st
I mailed four letters. Received two letters. They weren't from this challenge, but letters received all the same.

Shadows
When I first saw that squiggly line I thought it was a crack in the driveway and then realized it was a shadow. I was looking up trying to figure out what it was and then I noticed the fence (to the right) and realized it was the line in the fence. I still don't get why the line isn't straight. The lines going the other way are straight.

This next shot of shadows I really liked and in case you are wondering - that short, wide fire hydrant looking shadow in the middle is not a fire hydrant. It's me!

Day Two February 2nd
I mailed three letters.

Rocks
Anyone who knows me knows I'm a lover of rocks. I spotted all kinds hiding underneath ivy and leaves. But these two were especially likeable.

Day Three February 3rd
I mailed four letters. Two of those were to the gals that had written me on Day One.

Red
Seeing the red flag on this mailbox was a no brainer as one of my favorites.

Since another one of my passions is gardening, I liked how the rose bushes were sprouting out some red.

Day Four February 4th
I mailed two letters. I also mailed two birthday cards. I know cards, postcards, and whatever else you mail to someone counts with this challenge, but I would have mailed these cards anyway.

Yellow
I didn't think I'd see anything yellow except this ball, but I was surprised at how many things I did shoot that were yellow.

I'm not sure what this is, but thought it was interesting in its fuzzy little way.

Day Five February 5th
Sunday - no mailing of letters, however I did write one.

Day Six
February 6th
I mailed five letters. Included in the mailing was the one I wrote the day before.

Polka Dots
If my bff is reading this she'll know that I picked Polka Dots just for her. This was a challenge to find polka dots in the woods, but if you use your imagination like I did, you'll see the resemblance.

Day Seven February 7th
I mailed one letter and two cards. One of the cards was a birthday card--and again, I would have mailed them regardless.

Blue
When I stepped outside to mail my letters, I wondered how in the world I would find anything blue. The sky was gray. Since I had been keeping my eye out on various things that past six days--walking the same path every day--I didn't remember seeing anything blue. Ha, but when I stepped outside, this caught my eye. Even though it's still the winter season, with our unseasonable warm weather, the landscapers came to clean out our ponds and spruce up the yard. Imagine my surprise seeing this as I stepped out the back door.

Fearing I wouldn't see anything else blue, I snapped the envelopes that I was mailing. However, I did spot a lot more blue. Mostly trash though, so that's not too exciting. Not as exciting as a stamp!

Stay tuned for Week Two. And if you want a letter from me and I don't have your address, send it to me! I'd love to write you a letter.

16 comments:

  1. Lynn, I got your letter! Want you to know and how much I appreciated it...came a rough day and was my one ray of sunshine. I will answer but your letter opened up the rest of the week to things popping around here...it will take me a bit to get 'er done!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi - I got your letter! Do you have any idea how long it has been since I've received a handwritten letter in the mail? It was a delight. Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a marvelous idea--a theme and photos to match the theme.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I knew you'd be great at this "Challenge," Lynn...In fact, I know it ISN'T a challenge for you to write lovely notes to people!! Love the photos, too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bookie - I'm happy I put a little sunshine in your day :-)
    Lisa - I'm glad you enjoyed the letter.
    Thanks Sioux!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Becky, you're right - it's not much of a challenge, however, I'm trying to make it so by writing people I either don't write to or someone new!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lynn, You have an amazing generosity and caring spirit.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the way you document your progress and give us a visual treat in the process. Very nice!

    Pat
    Critter Alley

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Linda and Pat! You gals are sweet. Oh and you other gals are too!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lynn, this is so cool! I really enjoyed your photos and your narrative. Glad you guys are having warm enough weather for the landscapers to stay busy.

    Thanks so much for stopping by to see me!

    Kathy M.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Lynn,
    You are an inspiration. The only letters I've been writing lately are to my grandson's teachers.
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  12. Lynn, just the sight of a package for me made my whole week! Bylines is absolutely wonderful. Am enjoying it little bits at a time. Thank you so, so much, and love your pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Kathy, glad you enjoyed the photos.
    Donna, it's a letter just the same :-)
    Tammy, glad you like Bylines!

    ReplyDelete
  14. What a fun challenge and what amazing photos. Great post Lynn.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love your post. My, my what a long driveway. :) One friend I mailed a letter to told me she couldn't remember ever getting a handwritten letter. :)And that it felt wonderful! Made me feel good too. So, I've actually mailed three letters and several valentine cards. Unfortunately, I'm way behind if we're keeping tally. Today is my 30th anniversary so handed hubby his anniversary card (that doesn't count) and hid his Valentine's card in his suitcase since he works out of town. :)I'm going to write more letters this week.
    Reading your posts, today's and older ones, I'm surprised at how much we have in common. And I love rocks too! Did you ever see the old Lucille Ball movie The Long, Long Trailer. She and her new hubby go on honeymoon pulling a trailer and she collects rocks at every stop. Disastrous! :)
    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks Madeleine!
    Jess - received your letter and what a treat! It's fun getting to know you better! I can't remember that Lucille Ball movie, but it's quite possible I saw it. I can only imagine.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for commenting. I don't always comment back, but I do appreciate it.